Congratulations, you’ve been invited to a wedding! Your next to-do? Picking what to wear. We’ve tackled frequently asked wedding wardrobe questions to get you there in style.
Q: The reception will be outdoors; any suggestions on shoes?
A: Skip the stilettos and go for wedges, chunky heels or flats. Wedges and chunky heels don’t sink into grass and provide more stability on uneven surfaces. Slip on flat, strappy sandals or peep-toe ballets with a touch of shimmer for a dressy look without the height.
Q: The invitation requests cocktail attire; what does that mean?
A: This is your time to shine! Skip floor-sweeping gowns for shorter dresses in lustrous fabrics with metallic high-heel sandals and dramatic earrings. Make sure to grab your favorite clutch for all your beauty essentials.
Q: I’m a bridesmaid and I’m worried about humidity and frizz. What products or tools are my best bet?
A: Try the T3 SinglePass 1” straightening iron. It’s your go-to tool for sleek, straight locks or lasting curls. Other frizz-fighting must-haves? For a summer wedding, try the Frederic Fekkai Summer Hair Smooth Sailing Anti-Frizz Cream. Or try this 5-star favorite on Dillards.com, the Frederic Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Cream for softer, easier to manage hair.
Q: I’m going to a destination wedding. What are some great portable beauty products?
A: For a flawless look on-the-go, here are a few of our suitcase-ready favorites.
- Opt for a creamy, long-lasting pencil with a pink tint — like this one from MAC — over lipstick for the big day. That way, you can skip the need to reapply and just smile.
- In a travel-friendly case, the Anastasia Beauty Express Kit for Brows and Eyes provides all the tools you need for an instant eye lift.
- Clinique Quick Blush creates rosy, picture-ready cheeks with an easy all-in-one blush and brush.
Q: As mother of the bride, how can I make a good impression without upstaging the bride?
A: That’s easy! First, remember 2 quick don’ts:
- Don’t wear white.
- Don’t match or clash with the bridal party.
After that, the dos are fun!
- Do find a flattering fit (maybe something with pleats or a matching bolero for extra coverage).
- Do match the formality (or casual feel) of the event.
Have other wedding wardrobe quandaries? Ask and we’ll answer!