Dillard’s Exclusive Interview with Joyce Azria, Creative Director of BCBGeneration

Q: Who is the typical BCBGeneration woman?
A: The typical BCBGeneration customer is someone who wants to be on trend but still timeless. She is casual in her daily aesthetic but loves a good party dress.

Q: Where do you draw most of your inspiration for your designs?
A: Street style is always somewhere I look for inspiration. A girl with a good blog gives visual insights into how she lives her life and always sets the trends for me.

Q: Who are your major influences?
A: My influences are always changing, but any girl with strong art influences is always on my radar.

Q: What do you feel you bring to the industry?
A: Heart plus life-long experience. BCBG is a family business and Generation is a major artery of this beating heart.  Our family business gives our customer the quality she loves us for and is fresh and fun.

Q: What’s the ultimate message you want to get across through your shoes?
A: The Generation girl loves to be on trend, and a great shoe is the perfect way to make this statement. Beyond styling, a good shoe should also make you feel empowered. Generation shoes will provide the sole to your confidence!

Q: Did you attend school for design or are you self-taught?                                        
A: I have worked around fashion my whole life!  My father was constantly inviting us to be a part of the design process, asking our opinions and keeping us involved.  Although I didn’t attend a college, I think almost two decades of hands-on experience has guided me to where I am now.  My Dad always called our experiences at BCBG the “school of life.”

Q: What’s your favorite shoe in the line?
A: This season is all about the bootie and Viktory wedge booties will be the perfect complement to any fall wardrobe.

Q: What are some key trends we will see from your line next season?                     
A: The spring season is all about cutouts and new hardware elements. While a good wedge is always in style, flats are back and will make a BIG statement for spring. Keep a lookout for rougher details that tie back perfectly to our feminine clothes. There will be a lot of spiked hardware mixed with stacked platforms for the unexpected combination of pretty and punk.

Q: Tell us about a shoe you will never forget.                                                    
A: My Dad took me to a vintage store called Remix on Beverly Blvd and bought me my first pair of “big girl” heels.  They were dark ivory leather shoes from the ’60s with the most amazing stacked wooden heels.  I wore them for years!

Q: Which shoe should no woman be without?
A: A great loafer is always a must in either navy or black.  So relaxed and cool with a dress or edgy and retro with daytime looks.

Shop our picks: Bijoux Ankle-Strap Wedges, Alonsa Pointed-Toe Flats, Parade Tribal-Print Pumps and Franciss Platform Boots

Shop all BCBGeneration shoes.

Do you have a favorite BCBGeneration style? Tell about it in the comments. 

Leave a comment

Filed under Shoes

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s