Monthly Archives: September 2012

The HomeFront: Dillard’s Exclusive Interview with Reba McEntire

Q.  How would you describe your own style for your home?
A.  I would describe my home as being warm and inviting. I want everyone who visits to feel welcome, comfortable and relaxed. I love to surround myself with pieces that bring back fond memories: trips, family, friends, accomplishments and personal items that reflect who I am.

Q.  What connections do you feel between being a home decor designer and an artist/singer/songwriter?
A.  They are both outlets for expressing my creativity and connecting with someone. I feel my creativity for music and my brand are similar in that I want to have a connection with my products, much like I want to have that connection with my fans when I sing.

Q.  What do you feel you bring to the home furnishing industry that’s different from other designers?
A.  With my profession, I travel all over the world which gives me the advantage of seeing what is available in the marketplace. I want to bring products to my consumer that are special and have meaning when brought into their home.  I look for products that are made of quality materials that will add warmth to my home. That is what I am creating with my brand.

Q.  Where do you draw most of your inspiration or ideas for products?
A.  I gather inspiration from everything: magazines, traveling, landscapes, architecture, friend’s homes, other people.  I always have my eyes open for great products and what is being offered in hopes that we can design something unique and not do what everyone else is doing.

Q.  How did your partnership with Dillard’s home first begin?
A.  We started the REBA Brand with ladies sportswear in the Spring of 2005.  After finding success in this category, we were approached to create a bedding line for Dillard’s. My home is my retreat. It’s the warm, comfortable place where I get to relax and spend quality time with family and friends, so Harmony for the Home was a natural extension for me and the brand. I personally use the products, and my home is full of the REBA bedding and bath collections.

Q.  Can you give us a sneak peak of some upcoming REBA home fashions?
A.  We have several beautiful bedding collections coming for fall. Gold Coast is a regal, traditional collection in gold and cream. Belvedere is made up of a large scale border with black and camel hues that will be offered with coordinating drapery and decorative pillows. The Belvedere collection is grand and makes a statement.  We will also be offering an American Indian collection that is made up in the beautiful, rich colors of burgundy, camel and turquoise. We have many more collections coming this fall that we know you will love!

Q.  What’s the ultimate message you want to get across through your products?
A.  I want people to know that my products are a direct reflection of my lifestyle. I hope that my consumer will connect with them because they reflect a level of quality and comfort that I personally approve.

Shop Reba’s Divine Harmony Christmas Tree for the home.

Shop all Reba home products. Shop all Reba.

What’s your favorite Reba product? Tells us about it in the comments. 

5 Comments

Filed under Home

Statement Handbags: Have Fun & Turn Heads!

There’s no need to start fall with styles that blend into the background. Punch up your wardrobe with a bag that draws second looks and starts conversations. We’ve picked the best ways to play with your handbag wardrobe this season.

Unique Details: This zip over satchel from Kathy Van Zeeland stands out from the crowd with whimsical zipper details and a silver giraffe print. With its intricate decorative beading and peacock feather motif, this Nina Mae Fully Beaded Peacock clutch combines upscale and quirky. The T Tahari Olivia tote steps up a simple shape with distinctive colorblocking and the curved lines of the front pocket.

Rich Colors: Betsey Johnson knows a thing or two about making statements, and her Neon Lights Jelly satchel says it all with a vibrant neon green. Brilliant scarlet dials up the drama for this Indio leather bucket from The Sak. On the other end of the color spectrum, bold blue hues take this BCBGMAXAZRIA Evening clutch from staple to stunner.

Fresh Silhouettes: We love the rounded shape and vertical front zipper pockets of the Vince Camuto Cristina hobo and the asymmetrical front flap of the Hobo Original Zara cross-body bag. The vegetable tanned Cavo tote from Patricia Nash is dressed up with delightfully unexpected cutouts and ruffles along the top edge for a fresh take on a classic.

Touchable Textures: What some designs use as a decoration, the Steve Madden Fringy Fringe hobo uses as a centerpiece. An unexpected panel of hair calf invites touch and adds an unexpected edge to the Brahmin Kensington Collection Taylor tote (and it’s only available at Dillard’s)! For turning heads and starting conversations, though, nothing beats the owlishly offbeat UGG Australia Foxley Flap shoulder bag, with its over-the-top textures, chain strap and antiqued brasstone hardware.

Shop all handbags here.

What handbag statement type fits your style best?

Leave a comment

Filed under Handbags

Clarisonic: Color Personality

Two things we can’t get enough of?  Pops of color and our trusty Clarisonic.

As a constant fixture in our morning and nighttime routine, it’s important to pick a Clarisonic that works with your style and personality. Not sure which hue will work best for you? Check out our guide below for some insight into Clarisonic’s colorful choices.

• Yellow: You glow with happiness and love a warm breeze and bright rays of sunshine.
  • Green: Peaceful and serene, you enjoy quiet moments and relaxation.
  • White: Your personal aesthetic is clean, simple and pure.
  • Graphite: You are independent and serious, but you don’t have a hard time letting loose. Others consider you practical and calm.
  • Lavender: A little more on the sensitive side, you have a bohemian streak that craves the unconventional.
  • Pink: You are nurturing and kind. You choose lace over leather and prefer pastel to neon.
  • Mango: The life of the party, you love socializing and bringing people together.
  • Turquoise: You’re bright, bold and cheery to be around.
  • Peacock: You’re cool and collected, but you don’t have any trouble flaunting your big personality.
  • Emerald: Lively and proud, you prefer the more luxurious things in life.
  • Coral: A warm and loving person, those closest in your life consider you a generous and compassionate spirit.
  • Bordeaux: You prefer warm and rich details. You are classic, poised and mature.
  • Zebra: You’re wild, daring and always on the move. When you aren’t traveling to exotic places you can be found outdoors.

Don’t forget to pick up the brush head that is right for you. Shop all Clarisonic here.

Which color will you choose?

Leave a comment

Filed under Beauty

Whimsical Animal Motifs Channel Nostalgic Charm

What do owls, peacocks and wolves have in common? They’re all part of a women’s fashion trend that features whimsical animal prints on tops and sweaters. Create a look around your favorite animal with these fun, nostalgic pieces. For a casual look, couple these fanciful prints with leggings or with a pencil skirt for a polished look with personality.

Designs featuring owls are some of the most popular to crop up as part of this motif. One of our favorites is this quirky owl sweater from Kensie.  A friendly owl peeks out from the front of the top, while elbow patches add sophistication. This owl-print tee from Chelsea & Violet flaunts vintage charm while flattering your figure with ruched sides. This tunic tee from Chelsea & Violet gives you a different take on the trend with owls creating horizontal stripes — one owl stands out in metallic gold.

Peacocks and feathers are another popular theme. The Liza tee from Lucky Brand Jeans flaunts a peacock print adorned with metallic studs, giving you a touch of bling. An eye-catching blue peacock print adorns this black thermal top from Lucy Brand Jeans. Colorblock birds brighten the classic Melbourne sweater from French Connection. Blues, browns and creams stand out against the black background, with one bird turned to look outward.

Wolves have long been thought of as mystical, majestic creatures. Flaunt your love for these noble animals with this wolf-print tee from Chelsea & Violet. An asymmetric hem creates a chic silhouette.

Check out all of our animal motif items here.

What animal motif is your favorite?

Leave a comment

Filed under Women

How To Wear Printed Leggings

A fun fashion trend from the late ’80s/early ’90s is back, and this time around, the colors are brighter, the patterns are bolder and the designs are totally uninhibited. From feminine florals and abstract prints to tribal patterns and lace, nothing is off limits, which is why this trend is so great—with so many options, everyone can find a pair that fits their individual style.

Printed leggings are an easy way to make a statement. From casual chic to semi-formal occasions, they add an instant energy boost to any look. But wearing them right can be tricky. Here are some tips to help you pull off this super-hot trend.

1. Printed leggings pair best with solid-color tops. You don’t want to overload on patterns.
  2. Pick the appropriate top. Depending on your mood (and the occasion), you can transform your leggings to match almost any style. For a daring rocker look, pair your leggings with a cropped top and jacket. For a more conservative, cozy look, try an oversized sweater.
  3. Keep accessories to a minimum. Let your leggings be the statement piece of your look.
  4. If you feel as though your outfit lacks feminine flair, throw on a mini skirt or fishtail-hem top. These added layers will give your look a fun and flirty touch.

Shop all printed leggings here.

How will you wear printed leggings this fall? Tell us in the comments!

1 Comment

Filed under Juniors

10 Ways to Wake Up Your Work Wardrobe for Fall

Take a cue from the season’s changing leaves by transitioning your work wardrobe to fall with fresh colors, textures and silhouettes. Get started with our top autumnal pieces — all guaranteed to complement classics already hanging in your closet.

1. Leather-Look LBDEven the Little Black Dress deserves an update from time to time. This ponte dress from Sanctuary flaunts faux-leather panels for a luxe take on the wardrobe staple.
  2. Fanciful BroochNeed a quick fall fix? Add a jewelry-box bauble to your favorite shirtdress or cardigan. We love these sparkling Dillard’s Boxed Collection pins worn alone or in light-catching clusters.
  3. Daytime ShineThe secret to surviving long days? Sequins. Especially smart with a crisp white blouse, this Antonio Melani skirt skillfully transitions from 8-hour day to holiday party.
  4. Better-Than-Basic PumpSwap basic black for an equally versatile shade of deep green, burgundy or navy. You’ll find pointed-toe silhouettes, like this Vince Camuto pick, make even the most polished looks impossibly sharper.
  5. Menswear Motif: Borrow textural fabrics from the boys — but keep the cut all about your curves. Figure-contouring panels shape this houndstooth Tahari sheath dress for a thoroughly feminine take on the masculine trend.
  6. Peter Pan Collar: An instant pick-me-up, bejeweled Peter Pan collars lend radiance to your complexion. Luminous with beading on the collar and cuffs, this Sanctuary selection means little to no time spent on morning accessorizing.
  7. Eye-Catching CobaltPitch-perfect in ponte knit, this cobalt blue Rafaella pant instantly reinvigorates basic blouses and blazers. It’s no wonder we’ve been singing the cheerful color’s praises all season.
  8. Leopard-Print TrenchBundling up doesn’t mean covering up your personal style. Show off your feminine (and fierce) aesthetic with this MICHAEL Michael Kors leopard-print trench.
  9. Textural SatchelA deep wine hue, python print and file-friendly size make this BCBGeneration satchel a stylish workplace companion. Compose a tactile, layered statement by styling it with fall’s touchable tweeds and nubby knits.
  10. Conversation PrintYour sense of whimsy should be no secret at the office. Share the love with prints equal parts clever and chic. Colorful horses gallop across this Cremieux blazer’s cuffs — clean lines keep the look classic.

Shop our entire selection of women’s clothing here.

How do you stay corner-office chic when it’s cold? Share in the comments!

Leave a comment

Filed under Women

Homecoming 2012 Guide: Shoe Edition

Take your Homecoming look to the next level with the perfect pumps. To get you started on the right foot, we’ve styled this season’s hottest dress trends with head-turning heels. Don’t worry. Our picks are both fabulous and dance-floor friendly, so all you have to do on the big night is kick up your heels.

Shop our picks:  GB Sleeveless Sequin DressVince Camuto Gernetto Rhinestone SandalsB. Darlin One-Shoulder Hi-Low Dress &  Gianni Bini January Platform SandalsSequin Hearts Strapless Shirred Dress & BCBGeneration Pennee T-Strap SandalsI.N. San Francisco Metallic Dot Dress & Gianni Bini Madison Platform Pumps

Shop the Homecoming 2012 Guide for even more ideas.

Shop all Homecoming shoes.

Have any Homecoming shoe tips? 

Leave a comment

Filed under Shoes

Word of the Week: Denier

At Dillard’s, we mainly use “denier” to describe the strength and durability of the fabric used in luggage. In general, the higher the denier value, the better quality the luggage. For example, luggage made from 600 denier polyester might make a worthy tote bag, but would wear out faster if subjected to the abuse of baggage handlers over time. However, luggage made from 1800-denier nylon would be extremely durable under harsh conditions. Dillard’s offers luggage that ranges from 1200 denier up to 1800 denier.

Examples of our luggage featuring high denier counts: Cremieux Voyager Red Travel Duffel (1800 denier)Ogio Ascender Black Wheeled Duffel Collection (1680 denier)Delsey Helium Fusion 3.0 Blue 21″ Expandable Carry-on Upright (1200 denier).

Shop here for more luggage ideas.

What’s your favorite luggage? Tell us about it in the comments section. 

1 Comment

Filed under Home

Style It: Tights & Leggings

This season’s must-haves: brightly colored and patterned tights or leggings. Not sure how to style them?  Check out our 4 examples below to get that effortlessly on-trend look for your wardrobe.

Bright Tights

Much like colored denim, brightly colored tights add a perfectly bold touch to your look. You don ‘t have to keep the rest of your look subdued. A leopard-print tunic and studded smoking slippers keep your ensemble fashionable yet comfortable for a workday or shopping. To finish off the look, reach across the color wheel for a bag that punches up your palette.

Shop the look: Collective Concepts Smockneck Shirtdress, Hue Opaque Non-Control Top Tights, MICHAEL Michael Kors Jet Set Top Zip East West Tote, Betsey Johnson Bliiingg Smoking Slippers

Patterned Tights

Not quite ready to take the leap to a bright leg? Then start your hosiery exploration with patterned tights. Depending on the pattern, they can add edge or sophistication to your outfit. For a sleek workday look, pair them with a tailored dress and authoritative pumps. A patterned bag coordinates perfectly with this option. Take this look to dinner by adding on a bold lip or a statement necklace.

Shop the look: T Tahari Libby Ponte Knit Dress, Spanx Tight-End Filigree Patterned Tights, Antonio Melani Joanne Pumps, Brahmin Melbourne Collection Anytime Mini Shoulder Bag

Cord Leggings

When the weather turns cooler, leggings are a great option for keeping warm. But how do you keep your look from getting too casual? Pair them with soft fabrics and feminine accessories. A chiffon tunic balances the corduroy perfectly, while the stones in these earrings subtly echo the jewel-tone hues. Add cute booties or pumps to finish it off.

Shop the look: MM Couture by Miss Me Printed Chiffon Tunic, Hue Corduroy Leggings, Sam Edelman Louie Booties, Betsey Johnson Moroccan Medallion Drop Earrings

Print Leggings

Just add printed leggings to instantly take your closet favorites to fashionably fabulous. A long tee is an easy option for these leopard-print leggings. Take a full dive into rock star mode with a spiked bangle, moto-inspired boots and a sleek leather jacket.

Shop the look: Buffalo David Bitton Nepeta Faux Leather Jacket, Sanctuary Clothing Short-Sleeve Screen Print Top, Hue The Original Jeans Leopard Print Leggings, BCBGeneration Halen Moto-Inspired Boots, Natasha Accessories Pyramid Stretch Bracelet

Shop all tights and leggings

Which look are you excited to try?

Leave a comment

Filed under Accessories, Lingerie, Women

Borrowed From the Boys: Update Your Wardrobe With Houndstooth

What do hounds and their teeth have to do with clothing? Theories differ on how or when this distinctive broken-check pattern got its name, but most agree that it’s called houndstooth because the shape of the check mimics the shape of a dog’s jagged back teeth.

Classically houndstooth was made of alternating bands of black and white threads. Some historians believe that the pattern originated in Scotland and gained popularity because it was considered a neutral plaid — one not claimed by any particular clan — and thus okay to wear at meetings between warring clans or social events.

Regardless of its origin, women’s fashion has been borrowing this pattern from the boys long enough for it to become a wardrobe staple. This season, houndstooth is making a resurgence with updated colors and silhouettes.

1. Vince Camuto Tie-Neck Houndstooth Dress: Boy meets girl in a large white/black houndstooth print complete with a bow at the neckline and a flirty A-line skirt.

2. AK Anne Klein Houndstooth Dress: The classic check gets an update with bold spice and cappuccino in place of traditional black and white. If you prefer the classic colors, this dress also comes in black and sugar.

3. Antonio Melani Leonardi Belted Houndstooth Dress: This dress takes it a step further with a colorful navy and juice check. Short flutter sleeves and a flowing skirt continue the ladylike appeal.

4. Lauren Ralph Lauren Wool Houndstooth Pencil Skirt: Traditional black and white couples with faux-leather trim and equestrian details for a mod take on this timeless look.

5. RD Style Long-Sleeve Blouse: Sheer houndstooth is framed with bold black trim and oversized black cuffs for a dramatic, yet feminine look.

Shop all of our women’s houndstooth here.

What’s your favorite take on houndstooth?

1 Comment

Filed under Women