Betsey Johnson: Dillard’s Exclusive Interview

Embellished might be an understatement when describing the designs of Betsey Johnson. Her clothing and jewelry are often called “over-the-top” but anything less just wouldn’t be Betsey. Before a visit to a San Antonio Dillard’s, she shared a bit about her inspiration and things she just can’t live without.

Q: Your clothing and jewelry lines feature everything from butterflies and bumble bees to skulls and skeletons; from what do you draw inspiration for your eclectic and often edgy designs?
A: From me and my life and the streets and anything and everything.

Q: How has your design aesthetic changed since you opened your first boutique in 1969 and how do you see it evolving as you continue working in the fashion industry?
A: It changes because the world changes and my life changes with it. Back then I was an insecure girl with my blinders on — I was blinded by what everyone wanted me to do and couldn’t see what I really wanted to do. But now I get to do it my way!

Q: Speaking of fashion shows, you’re known for doing a cartwheel at the end of yours, how did that come to be and are you still cartwheeling?
A:  I hope to until the day I die. I started doing it about 10 or 12 years ago — I was so excited after the show that I cartwheeled out all my excitement!

Q: If you could save only one of your pieces from a “fashion apocalypse,” what would it be and why?
A: I would have to save two things: a puffy, tulle ballerina-ness prom type dress and a skin tight, Monroe-esque, va va voom sheath dress.

Q: If you could save only one piece from your closet, that you didn’t design, what would it be and why?
A: My black leather Alexander McQueen suit-tailed military jacket OR my Alexander McQueen insect printed tight tee shirt dress with my vintage New York belt.

Q: What Betsey Johnson essential should every woman own? Why?
A: A tutu dress because it’s classic Betsey!

Q: If we caught up with you at home on a weekend afternoon, what would you be wearing?
A: A rock n’ roll tee shirt with some crazy cutoff jeans.

Q: Do you have a favorite designer? If so, who and why?
A: Vivienne Westwood because we share the same basic ideas.

Q: Is there a celebrity you’d love to design for? Who and why?
A: Katy’s worn my stuff, Nicki’s worn my stuff. I guess I’d love to help out by designing for the next big name in music – whoever that may be!

Shop all Betsey Johnson.

Leave a comment

Filed under Accessories, Handbags, Lingerie, Shoes, Women

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s